get inside my head. and then, get out.



but before you get out, leave a comment please. :p





Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dystopia

The world that we live in is ugly just as it is beautiful. "How can something so beautiful be equally just as ugly?" I find myself asking the world. I find myself asking God. I find myself asking myself.

No one answers.

This is how we are structured to be. We all have our so-called functions in this interplay of things. This is what they tell me..that things are the way they are JUST BECAUSE. We have to accept it--our past, present and future situations are all merely consequences of social patterns and social norms.

We all dream of a utopia. Of course. What else can be expected when we live in such a dystopic society where things, no matter how beautiful, are still evil, harsh and horrid...

There is poverty at every corner. There is starvation under the bridge. There are deaths by the hour. Tears fall with self-pity. Can you just imagine? Do we even dare imagine? There are houses merely standing, nearly tumbling. And the spirits of those who live in them, almost crumbling. Is this the social pattern we have to accept JUST BECAUSE? It this what the social norms call for?

Hopelessness, deprivation, misery,... with all these, you have to ask: where do I stand?

Contrary to the lives we lead, if we are fortunate enough to belong to the upper part of the social hierarchy, are we really spared from it all? We may be lucky enough to be born at a social advantage, or maybe lucky enough to have risen from disadvantage. But are we really spared?

We may not know it, but we thrive at others' disadvantage. This is why we are the advantaged. The gap becomes bigger and bigger, everyone is busy trying to get ahead. Who's bothering to bridge the gap? The rich becomes richer, the poor just becomes poorer... this is our world. And utopia will merely just be the ideal society, and will merely stay an idea.

0 COMMENTS :